Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Wicked, the Musical, Fully Accessible For the Deaf and Hard of Hearing


I was lucky to attend the musical, Wicked, at the John F. Kennedy Center, thanks to a wonderful friend, Susie, who gave me her ticket when she decided not to go!

It was AWESOME! I really, really enjoyed it. Usually, I am not a big fan of musicals, especially if I can't follow the story, dialogue, and singing. But this performance was captioned, included infrared hearing loop systems, (provided by Ampetronic), and sign language interpretation. I was told that there were seven caption boards installed in the theater for this performance!

This was the first time I used a hearing loop system at a live performance. It was so easy, all I had to do was select the t-coil switch on my hearing aid. I heard the singing and talking clearly. If I missed something, I looked at the captions. For the first time ever, at a live performance, I was able to follow everything that was happening. I did not miss a thing. It made me want to cry as I thought about how I often miss out on so much at other uncaptioned movies and performances. I honestly believe that if this performance was not captioned and looped, I would have missed out on a lot and probably would not have enjoyed it as much. Why can't it be like this everywhere else?

The sign language interpreters did an excellent job, might I add. They conveyed the emotions of the actors extremely well. Their signing was clear and understandable. They did an outstanding job! But, I preferred the captions, as they were on stage. If I were to rely on sign language interpretation, I would have had to look back and forth at the musical and the interpreters, which would have made it difficult for me to watch the performance. Perhaps if I was sitting in front of them within sight of the performance, it would have worked out better. But, I enjoyed watching them sign, as I glance at them every now and then.

Overall, it was truly a magical experience. I am so happy I got to go!

Below, I included some pictures from the Kennedy Center, where a live band played lively swing music. I attempted to try out some swing dance moves with an HLAA Convention attendee (an experienced dancer). I think I did okay; I only stepped on his toes a couple of times. Nevertheless, we had fun dancing to the music! I was really impressed with the Kennedy Center, which I took a few pictures of. If anyone has any pictures to share, please email them to ehwhathuh@yahoo.com.

Many, many, many thanks to Audiotoniq and CTIA-The Wireless Association for sponsoring this event!!!


John F. Kennedy Center

Live swing music performance

John F. Kennedy Center


Costumes from Wicked musical

John F. Kennedy Center
(e

No comments:

Post a Comment